Sunday, June 1, 2008

Final entry: Back home again

"Now there are seven kinds of Coke, 500 kinds of cigarettes, This freedom of choice in the USA drives everybody crazy" -- John Doe and Exene Cervenka, "See how we are"

We arrived home one week ago, Sunday night, 25 May. The long leg from Copenhagen to Newark was on board a half-empty Continental jet with great coach seats: individual flat screen displays, a choice of 25 movies, shows, games, etc, and a power outlet. I watched "Dr Strangelove" and "Fraulein", a Bosnian movie with English subtitles. I worked on the text for the last few entries of this blog, played a few games of chess against the video console (won one, lost two, with one unfinished because we landed). I pondered the potential negative reaction of the passengers if they had been forced en masse to watch "Dr Strangelove", and I celebrated, in my own way, the illusion of choice in modern capitalism. It's good to be home.

No comments: